BDB Committee Officers
Duties of the Chair
The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Committee and shall perform other duties as directed by law, Maine Department of Education rules, and by this Committee. In carrying out these responsibilities, the Chair shall:
- Sign the instruments, acts and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Committee;
- Consult with the Superintendent in the planning of the Committee meeting agendas;
- Confer with the Superintendent on crucial matters which may occur between Committee meetings;
- Appoint Committee committees, subject to Committee approval, and serve as an ex-officio member of all such committees;
- Call special meetings of the Committee as necessary;
- Be public spokesperson for the Committee at all times except as this responsibility is specifically delegated to others;
- Preside at and be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Committee meetings; and
As presiding officer at all meetings of the Committee, the Chair shall:
- Call the meeting to order at the appointed time;
- Announce the business to come before the Committee in its proper order;
- Enforce the Committee’s policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of meetings;
- Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference;
- Explain, as appropriate, what the effect of a motion would be;
- Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Committee;
- Answer parliamentary inquiries, referring questions of legality to the Committee attorney; and
- Put motions to a vote, restating definitely and clearly the motion, stating the vote and result thereof.
The Chair shall have the right, as other Committee members have, to offer resolutions, discuss questions, and vote.
Duties of the Vice-Chair
In the absence of the Chair, a Vice-Chair would be appointed to perform the duties of the Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Duties of the Secretary
The Superintendent shall serve as Secretary of the Committee, with the right to speak on all questions and offer recommendations. The Secretary shall be responsible for ensuring that records are kept of all business transacted by the Committee at both regular and appropriately called special meetings, and shall perform such other functions as are ordinarily functions of this office.
Legal Reference: 20-A MRSA §1055 (ALL)
20-A MRSA §1251.5, 7 (MSAD)
20-A MRSA §1651, 2 (CSD)