BDD School Committee - Superintendent Relationship
SCHOOL COMMITTEE - SUPERINTENDENT RELATIONSHIP
The Veazie School Committee believes that exercising its legislative function through policymaking is its most important responsibility. The Committee is also responsible for setting the direction for the Veazie School Department and evaluating progress toward goals.
The management of the schools is the function of the Superintendent. The Committee holds the Superintendent responsible for complying with all applicable laws, rules and regulations; for administering School Committee policies and decisions; for the operation of the school and educational program; for the system of supervision and evaluation of staff; and for keeping the Committee informed about school operations, problems and opportunities. The Committee recognizes that the Superintendent may delegate certain responsibilities to other personnel. Such delegation does not relieve the Superintendent of the final responsibility for actions taken.
The Committee, collectively and as individual members, shall:
- Recognize the Superintendent as the educational leader of the Veazie School Department;
- Provide direction for the Superintendent through written policies, objectives and goals for the Veazie School Department;
- Give the Superintendent full administrative authority and support for properly discharging his/her professional duties, while holding him/her responsible for acceptable results;
- Hold all Veazie School Committee meetings in the presence of the Superintendent, except as otherwise permitted by law or when the Superintendent voluntarily excuses him/herself at the request of the Committee;
- Refer all complaints, criticisms, and requests to the Superintendent or other appropriate personnel and discuss them at Committee meetings only after administrative solutions have been exhausted; and
- Evaluate the Superintendent and provide appropriate opportunities for the Superintendent to share his/her perceptions regarding the working relationship between the Committee and Superintendent.
Legal Reference: 1 MRSA §401 et seq.
20-A MRSA §§1001 et seq.; 1051 et seq.; 13201; 13301
Cross Reference: 100.5 School Committee Powers and Responsibilities
100.5.2 School Committee Member Code of Ethics
200.1A Superintendent Job Description
200.1C Evaluation of the Superintendent